A new series on data discovery and access
The GEBCO Technical Subcommittee on Ocean Mapping (TSCOM) and the IHO Data Center for Digital Bathymetry (DCDB) invite you to a series of four listening sessions based on the steps of the bathymetric data life cycle.
These two-hour webinars (to be held on 27 Feb through 1 Mar 2023) will provide an opportunity for leaders in the field to discuss use-cases, challenges, opportunities, and approaches for new and emerging technologies to share, manage, visualize, discover and access bathymetric data.
BROADCAST LIVE ON YOUTUBE
Sessions will center around conversations highlighting efforts underway that could help our community achieve common goals, but are intended to inspire input and commentary from the broader community. Each session will be broadcast live on YouTube and will be recorded to ensure accessibility.
This series will connect the global mapping community through an inclusive exchange intended to foster the sharing of data, tools and knowledge.
Webinar 1: Data Stewardship
Monday Feb 27, 2023, 15:00 - 17:00 GMT
This session will focus on data sharing, obstacles to data sharing, solutions to bottlenecks, metadata needs for sharing and attribution, long-term preservation, access and re-use. Panelists and participants will have an opportunity during the session to address questions.
- Christiane Reiser, NOAA NCEI / IHO DCDB
- Dr. Helen Snaith, National Oceanography Centre
- Sean Haughton, INFOMAR
- Tion Uriam, Kiribati Ministry of Transport
Webinar 2: Data Discovery & Identifying Data Gaps
Monday Feb 27, 2023, 19:00 - 21:00 GMT
This session will focus on the use and integration of web services for data discovery, access and advanced geospatial applications related to data-driven decision-making to opportunistically fill data gaps. We will discuss the need for standards (metadata, geometry style) that help extend the usability of this information for purposes that support the mission of mapping the global ocean, including supporting tools for access and dissemination, for opportunistic mapping, and to discover data of interest.
- Erin Heffron, Independent Contractor, GEBCO TSCOM
- Daniel Damaske, MARUM
- Dr. Wetherbee Dorshow, Earth Analytic
- Jesse Varner, NOAA NCEI / IHO DCDB
Webinar 3: Data Access & Community Needs
Tuesday Feb 28, 2023, 21:00 - 23:00 GMT
This session will explore how to improve not only the availability of bathymetric data, but also the accessibility of that data for multiple audiences. This session will focus on community members discussing their needs related to formats, interfaces, resolution, quality, etc.
- Dr. Alex Bastos Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo, PGGM
- Dr. Kelley Brumley, Independent Contractor
- Dr. Kerry Howell, Plymouth University
- Dr. Gareth Davies, Geoscience Australia
Webinar 4: Data Processing, Transformation & Integration
Wednesday March 1, 2023, 18:00 - 20:00 GMT
How do we process, transform and integrate data? How do we establish fit-for-purpose standards that optimize effort spent on data processing? Are we consistently and routinely sharing the processed swath files and/or processed data, or are we only putting it in the GEBCO grid? We should aspire to do both.
- Hayley Drennon, LDEO, Seabed 2030 Regional Center for the Atlantic and Indian Oceans
- Dr. David Sandwell, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego, SRTM
- Joshua Sixsmith, Geoscience Australia
- Christian Ferreira, MARUM
- John Morton, LDEO, Columbia University, representing GMRT
Back for more news and events items.